DBT Skills Essentials - May 2023 - Online training
Firday 5th and Saturday 6th May 2023
You can register now for this training online (see below).
Online registrations close on 3 May 2023 (40 days). You can also reserve a place for the training which we'll hold for you until 4 April 2023.
This two-day workshop covers the fundamentals of Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) Skills: Core Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation, and Interpersonal Effectiveness. Participants learn how to plan, structure, and conduct DBT skills classes. This workshop also addresses the targets for skills training, as well as how to apply fundamental DBT strategies in skills training. Extensive teaching and use of clinical examples are used to illustrate specific skills training procedures, assignment and review of homework with clients, and troubleshooting common skills training obstacles. This course is designed for all mental health professionals who want to learn to teach DBT skills or to improve their teaching with clients. This training will cover material from the 2014 DBT® Skills Training Manual, Second Edition.
This training has been developed by Behavioral Tech, the US-based training organization established by Dr Linehan to disseminate high fidelity DBT training.
To maximise access, and to minimise the risk of COVID transmission, we are offering this training via Zoom. This will allow us to demonstrate more effectively how to teach skills remotely, and to tailor this training to the current pandemic context without threat of disruption from further lockdowns. We have experience in delivering DBT trainings and therapy sessions remotely, and are committed to making this an engaging, rich, and interactive experience. We hope you’ll join us, and/or forward the information to colleagues who’ve wanted to attend a DBT skills training but couldn’t, because the travel and accommodation costs have been too prohibitive.
- Understand the dialectical nature of DBT skills training
- Identify the Strategies & Procedures required for effective teaching of DBT skills
- Be able to utilise recent updates to DBT Skills training
- Be familiar with DBT Skills Modules
- Know how to structure DBT skills training for specific populations and settings
- Effectively review DBT skills training homework.
- This is a beginning to intermediate level training.
$495 (GST inclusive). Early bird rate $440 (before 22 March).
Dr Carla Walton is Service Director of the Centre for Psychotherapy, a specialist service for Borderline Personality Disorder and Eating Disorders within Hunter New England Mental Health Service in Australia. She has been involved in treatment provision to persons with Borderline Personality Disorder using DBT, in both public and private sectors in Australia for the past 15 years. Carla is the principal investigator on a large-scale randomized clinical trial of DBT and a psychodynamic therapy, the Conversational Model. She is a member of Marsha Linehan’s annual DBT Strategic Planning Meeting at the University of Washington. She has provided training and consultation in Borderline Personality Disorder and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy throughout public and private sector services throughout Australia. Her main research interests lie in the fields of Borderline Personality Disorder and translational research.
Dr Kirsten Davis is a Clinical Psychologist who has worked with both adolescents and adults across both public mental health and private sectors for the last two decades. Kirsten is a founding member of DBTNZ. Kirsten was involved in development, implementation and coordination of the first DBT Programme for adolescents and their families at the in New Zealand. Kirsten was a co-investigator in a randomized feasibility trial of DBT for adolescents and their families in New Zealand. She has extensive experience in DBT consultation, supervision and training in community outpatient, inpatient, forensic, residential (care & protection settings) and schools. She has been a trainer for many Behavioural Tech licensed events including DBT Intensive Training. Kirsten is particulary interested in implementation and development of sustainable DBT programmes across a variety of different settings.
Online with Zoom.
Firday 5th and Saturday 6th May 2023
9.00am until 4.30pm (AEDT) daily. Sign in from 8.45am on the first day.
Registrations are managed online (see below)
An online training - we will send personalized Zoom links nearer the time.
Early bird $440 (before 22 March), $495 (GST inclusive)
Terms and conditions:
- A registration is for one person. To successfully manage the event, we expect only one person to join the webinar as part of your registration.
- You agree not to record the meeting in any way. You agree not to distribute materials to other persons without prior agreement.
- Registrations are confirmed only when payment is received by credit card (with Paypal) or electronically.
- Payment must be made before the training. By registering you accept liability for the costs of the training.
- Cancellations must be notified to us by email (or the website contact form) with full identifying information.
- Cancellations received more than seven days before the event will receive a refund of the fees paid less an administration charge of $100+GST (for each event).
- Refunds cannot be given after that date. Refunds will not be available until after the event.
- A colleague may be substituted for no extra charge if we are notified at least two business days before the training event.
- In the unlikely event the training is cancelled by the organisers, registration will be fully refunded but no liability will be accepted for travel, accommodation or other costs/expenses incurred to registrants.
- Online statements of attendance can be downloaded by all participants from this page. Printed certificates of attendance are not available for this event.